Work description and purpose
Starting on Saturday, March 26, TTC will begin replacing the tracks at the south west area of the Roncesvalles Yard where tracks #18 to #23 exit the Carhouse to The Queensway. The work is scheduled for completion in six weeks. All work will be conducted inside the yard.
- Removal and replacement of the streetcar overhead electrical wires along each track lane being reconstructed.
- Complete removal and replacement of the noted track, and new concrete placement.
- Noise will be apparent when construction equipment is in full operation during concrete breaking and excavation of the track area.
The majority of the work activities, which include breaking concrete and excavation, will typically take place from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday to Friday. Weekend work will take place as required. Overnight work is also needed to support construction during the day and will involve rail installation, fastening, welding and grinding. This will ensure that work is completed as soon as possible to return normal operations to the yard.
Maintaining yard operations
Day-to-day yard operations will continue with some operational disruption due to the need to reverse streetcars when going into service from the yard onto The Queensway. Once the track work is completed, the yard will return to normal operations.
- Streetcars will exit the yard daily onto The Queensway in a controlled reverse operation by TTC staff.
- Toronto Police Services personnel will be onsite to manage westbound traffic at the intersection of The Queensway/Queen/Roncesvalles/King and ensure the safety of TTC staff during reverse operations.
- As per safety procedure, anytime a streetcar is reversing the operator is required to sound the gong/horn.
Thank you for your patience during these essential track upgrades.