Park Improvements in South Parkdale

In the early spring I hosted a “Community Safety Audit”at Close Avenue and Close Springhurst Park. Both residents and parents expressed concern with lighting, accessibility and park use. Since May, I have been working with staff to address the issues raised by the park users. I am very pleased to announce that Hydro has confirmed… Continue reading Park Improvements in South Parkdale

Published
Categorised as Community

Parkdale Activity and Recreation Centre (PARC) Wins an Access Equity and Human Rights Award

Congratulations to Parkdale Activity and Recreation Centre for winning the 2007 City of Toronto Access Award for Disability Issues. This award was established in 1981 as part of the celebrations for the International Year for the Disabled. It acknowledges a significant contribution towards improving the lives of individuals with disabilities by integrating them into all… Continue reading Parkdale Activity and Recreation Centre (PARC) Wins an Access Equity and Human Rights Award

Liberty Village Walk About

On Wednesday May 9th, my staff and I had the pleasure of visiting Liberty Village. On a tour led by Lynn Clay, Executive Director of LVBIA, we explored this unique mixed use neighbourhood. The walk allowed us to not only become more familiar with the industrial space in Ward 14, but it also gave us… Continue reading Liberty Village Walk About

Published
Categorised as Community

Close Springhurst and Close Avenue Parkettes

On the night of Wednesday May 9th, I organized and lead a “Community Audit” of Close Springhurst Parkette and Close Avenue Parkette. I felt it was important to bring together City staff, Police, local residents, the superintendent of 22 Close Avenue, members of the Parkdale Residents Association, the Principal and representatives of a parents group… Continue reading Close Springhurst and Close Avenue Parkettes

Published
Categorised as Community

Dental Care for Low Income Adults

For many marginalized groups living in Toronto, I believe that access to dental services as part of overall health care is severely limited. Poor oral health is a significant issue and is also major barrier to employment. At the April 4th meeting of the Budget Committee, I introduced a motion requesting that additional revenues from… Continue reading Dental Care for Low Income Adults

Published
Categorised as Community

Emmanuel Howard Park United Church: Good News For A Local Landmark

Emmanuel Howard Park United Church and our community have taken a great step forward together. I am happy to let you know that the Toronto East York Committee of Adjustment has approved the variance requested by this Roncesvalles Avenue Church. The agreement reached between Emmanuel Howard Park United Church and its near neighbours, which was… Continue reading Emmanuel Howard Park United Church: Good News For A Local Landmark

Published
Categorised as Community