Did you know the City has a 3Rs Ambassador Volunteer program? It engages residents in apartment buildings, condominiums and co-ops to become waste educators and help promote the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle) in their buildings. 3Rs Ambassador Volunteers are trained by the City on how to properly recycle and reduce waste going to landfill. Help your building get more involved in the 3Rs and become a 3Rs Volunteer Ambassador today by signing up at Toronto.ca/3Rs.
Here are some easy ways to reduce the amount of waste your building sends to landfill right now:
1) No black bags: Do not put recyclable materials in black plastic garbage bags. Put items for recycling in loose or in a clear bag.
2) Freeze food scraps: Over 50% of your waste is organic and could be composted. Avoid smells by putting a bag in the freezer to store food scraps until you can dispose of them properly.
3) Refuse & reduce: Do you really need that pamphlet? Free keychain? Or extra ketchup package? Saying “no” to items you don’t need helps keep waste out of landfill.
4) Paper plates, towels and napkins: Can go in organic waste collection if they do not have chemicals or make up on them.
5) Donate items for reuse: Give clothing, books, toys and more a new life by donating them. For a map of non-profit organizations in Toronto that accept items for donation, visit toronto.ca/reuseit or download the TOwaste app.