A report will be presented at the Infrastructure and Environment Committee pertaining to the road reconstruction work that will be taking place at the King – Queen – The Queensway – Roncesvalles intersection in 2021:
This is the result of many years of work by the community.
King – Queen- The Queensway- Roncesvalles Reconstruction: Sewer, Watermain, TTC Streetcar Track Replacement and Intersection Improvements starting in 2021
This is a joint project by the TTC, Toronto’s Transportation Services and Water Division.
Overall Scope of work
· As part of the state of good repair work, the aging sewer and track around the intersection needs to be replaced
· Relocating the eastbound centre platform streetcar stop to the far side of the intersection
· Realigning the King Street West leg to create a better intersection angle and increase green space
· Modifying / constructing street car platforms at Glendale Avenue
· Continue the bump-out treatment on Roncesvalles at this intersection
As part of the Sunnyside Community Association area traffic study that was completed in 2008, the city will also be:
· Modifying the signal at Glendale Avenue and Queensway
· Adding dedicated eastbound – left – turn lanes at Sunnyside Avenue, Glendale Avenue, and The Queensway
· Signalizing intersection at Sunnyside and The Queensway
· Modifying the streetcar track vertical alignment (slope at Claude Avenue that will visually and physically enhance the existing right-in / right-out at Claude Avenue)
We will be sure to provide information related to the time and stages of work as we approach get closer to the 2021 construction period.
Initial registration for summer camps as well as spring and summer recreation programs begins on March 7 and continues until March 11. The City is Toronto’s largest provider of safe, fun and high-quality recreation programs for people of all ages, skill levels and interests, with more than one million recreation program hours offered annually.
Summer camps range from basic activity camps to specialty camps including outdoor nature, arts, drama, dance, sports and more. Recreation programs range from beginner swim to lifesaving classes, fitness and general interest as well as adapted and inclusive programs for people with special needs/disabilities.
Residents can prepare for registration with extended customer service hours at 416-396-7378 from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on March 4, 5, 6 and 9. Registering online at https://efun.toronto.ca/ is the fastest and easiest way to register.
Registration starts at 7 a.m. on the following four dates:
- Saturday, March 7 – Etobicoke/York
- Sunday, March 8 – Scarborough
- Tuesday, March 10 – North York
- Wednesday, March 11 – Toronto/East York and West Toronto/York
The registration day for some locations has changed as a result of ward realignments. The locations affected are listed in the online Fun Guide at https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/funguide/districtchanges.html#.
Residents can get tips for registration, browse available programs, create wish lists, and learn more about available programs at https://www.toronto.ca/rec. Information on free programs and subsidies for recreation programs is available at http://www.toronto.ca/lowcostrecreation.
As part of the State of Good Repair Project at Masaryk-Cowan Community Centre, the skylight over the Gymnasium is scheduled to be replaced. Construction work will start on March 23, 2020. The Gymnasium will be closed during the construction which is anticipated to be completed by the end of May, 2020.
Youth Paint Parkdale is a free visual arts learning program for local youth (14-19) during the March break. The program will run Monday, March 16 to Friday, March 20, 12-4pm.
Participants will learn basic art, design and mural-making skills from professional artists, gaining the skill and confidence to participate in public art projects in their communities. To register or for more information, visit https://muralroutes.ca/youthpaintparkdale2020/
Calling all community leaders interested in helping Toronto’s urban forest!
Are you passionate about helping trees thrive in your neighbourhood?
Interested in having some help engaging the community in your tree initiative?
LEAF is looking for community partners to collaborate with our Young Urban Forest Leaders (YUFL) program. YUFL participants will work closely with a community leader over a five-month period (May to September) to host outreach events, plant native species, deliver community events, and educate the community on the importance of native plants for urban wildlife.
Learn more and apply HERE.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, 5 April ⋅ 11:59 PM
Join LEAF for the YUFL Information Session on Thursday, March 12th (6:30 PM to 8:00 PM). Register for the event HERE.
Have a TREEmendous day!
Swansea Town Hall is seeking enthusiastic individuals who want to help improve the community centre by serving on the Board of Management. !
Please follow these links for more information. Apply online through the City of Toronto or drop by the Town Hall to pick up an application package:
LINK TO OUR >> Printable Application and Information package
LINK TO >> Apply Online – City of Toronto Public Appointments
They are seeking applicants who:
- Have an understanding of and commitment to the neighbourhood and community within the Swansea catchment area;
- Reflect the cultural and social diversity of the community;
- Will conscientiously contribute their time and energy;
- Bring integrity, dependability, skills and fresh ideas to the Board and its committees;
- Have knowledge and understanding of community and public service;
- Are team players who possess good communication and decision making skills and
- Are expected to serve on Board committees dealing with matters such as governance, finance, community engagement, human resources and venue management.
The deadline for applications is Monday March 16th, 2020 at 12:00 noon. If you are not submitting your application online with the City portal or do not have access to a computer, hard copies of the application form will be available at the front desk during regular opening hours. Swansea Town Hall is located at 95 Lavinia Avenue; Toronto, ON M6S 3H9. Please submit your application to the attention of the Nominating Committee, Swansea Town Hall, at the above address or email it to email@example.com.
Parkdale Golden Age Foundation is hosting a Parkdale Seniors Information and Active Living Fair. This is on March 12, 2020 from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm at Masaryk-Cowan Community Centre (220 Cowan Ave.). There will be mini presentations on preparing for tax season, protection from fraud and coping with Alzheimer’s. Blood pressure and hearing screening will be taking place in addition to dance and tai chi demonstrations.pgaf_flyer Seniors Active Living Fair 2020 r5-converted UPDATED