Dear Residents of South Parkdale,
Every year, temporary traffic and parking amendments are required to improve traffic operations and pedestrian safety during the annual Canadian National Exhibition (CNE).
Following the 2016 CNE, a review with community members and City Staff suggested some additional changes to further improve traffic operation and pedestrian safety.
The following are new changes recommended by Transportation Staff. They are included in the above links:
‘No Standing’ signage on:
- Thorburn, north side, between Tyndall and Dufferin;
- Temple, north side, between Tyndall and Dufferin;
- Tyndall, west side, between Springhurst and King; and
- Tyndall, east side, between Springhurst and Thorburn.
’24 hour Permit Parking’ signage on:
- Springhurst between Jameson and Dufferin, north side.
Community members also raised concerns with the number of Temporary Parking Permits issued on local South Parkdale streets during the CNE.
In light of this, Permit Parking staff will conduct a pilot project this year which temporarily restricts the issuance of Visitor Parking Permits to the residential addresses located in the area bounded by Dufferin St, King St W, Jameson Ave, and the lake, for the entirety of the 2017 CNE. During this period, temporary parking permits will be issued — with proof of residency and guest’s licence plate number — at the City Hall counter, 100 Queen Street West. Online applications will not be permitted.
Furthermore, the following actions will take place again this year:
- CNE to communicate in the ‘CNE Guide Book’ and in media releases that “Paid Parking on residential properties in South Parkdale is no longer permitted during The Ex” with information on parking lots and bike rack locations;
- City Transportation to sign the boundary of the South Parkdale area (Dufferin/King, Jameson/King intersection) to communicate message to deter drivers from entering the area to look for paid parking on these residential streets and instead direct them to parking lots, with directions to parking lots;
- City Transportation to post signs on Liberty at Dufferin, as well as at the entrance of Springhurst (at Dufferin) and Temple (at Dufferin) advising that only permit parking holders can park on residential streets in south Parkdale during the CNE;
- Toronto Police, Parking Enforcement, and City Bylaw enforcement staff have been asked to monitor South Parkdale for infractions during the CNE;
- Toronto Police and Parking Enforcement have been asked to, when appropriate, use foot and bike patrols in South Parkdale during the CNE to lessen the number of vehicles in the area;
- Toronto Police have been reminded of ongoing safety concerns during the CNE when the one way at Springhurst, from Dufferin to Tyndall, is not respected;
- CNE working with Traffic Management Centre to monitor traffic and manage traffic flows and monitor lights.
During the CNE, residents are advised to contact:
Toronto Police, 14 Division 416-808-1400 Traffic Enforcement
Toronto Parking Enforcement 416-808-6600 On-street Parking Enforcement
City of Toronto 311 Off-street Parking Enforcement
Councillor Perks Office 416-392-7919
Please feel free to contact my office at any time if you have questions or comments about this or any other Ward 14 or city-related matter.
Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park