The City continues to phase in delivery of the new Green Bins and our neighbourhood will start receiving the new bins beginning May 19. It will take about three months to complete this distribution. Don’t be alarmed if you see residents in your area with new bins and you have not received one — yours is coming. On the same day that residents get their new Green Bin, the old one will be taken away and recycled. If we miss removing your old bin that day, set it out EMPTY on your next collection cycle and it will be picked up then (those who miss this second opportunity may contact 311 to arrange removal).
Here are some of the New Green Bin’s key features:
- It is animal-resistant so it can be stored outside or placed at the curb the night before collection with the lid in the locked position.
- It is larger and can hold more organics, with no weight restrictions. Plus, it meets automated collection requirements.
- Set out position is important. Place the bin with the dial in the locked position with the arrows on the top of the lid facing the street to receive collection. Please remember to leave space (0.5 metres) between bins for automated collection.
- It is assigned to your address just like your recycling or garbage bins
- It is repairable, simply call 311 if your bin breaks and they will send someone to your house to fix it.
More tips on using your new bin will be delivered with the bin. More information, including maps of bin delivery progress, can be found at www.toronto.ca/greenbin. It is important to start using your new bin on your next collection day because we will no longer be able to collect from the old one.
Your strong participation in the Green Bin Program has made it the most successful and beneficial program of its type in North America. Thank you for your dedication.