Junction Farmers Market’s Potluck Celebration!

Posted on October 24, 2019

Celebrate the 2019 market season with a fall potluck party! It has been an exciting year of delicious local food, produce and drinks – as well as a super successful night market in July!

Bring along a dish, as well as friends and family. Please also consider bringing a non-perishable food item that will be donated to The Four Villages Community Health Centre.

When: Saturday, October 26th from 1:30pm – 4:00pm
Where: Four Villages Health Centre, 3446 Dundas St W

Free parking is available at the TTC Keele Station lot.

We look forward to celebrating with you! Please RSVP here!

Rennie Park Pumpkin Parade

Posted on October 23, 2019

Come to Rennie Park on November 1st for a Pumpkin Parade! Bring your families and your pumpkins and browse all the spooky creations! Starts at dusk.

3rd Annual 8by11 for paper FINAL

Toronto Public Library – Chief Librarian’s Decision

Posted on October 22, 2019

Friends,

Many of you have contacted me about the Chief Librarian’s decision to grant space to Meghan Murphy and urged me to take action to override her decision. I won’t do that. If I did I would be misusing my office and creating a precedent that would do more harm than good for equity seeking groups.

I believe deeply in the rights of gender identity and gender expression and have been proud to use my office to support the struggle to win those rights. I will continue to work to see that those rights are respected.

I also believe that libraries are a cornerstone of a free and open democratic society and that that role rests on a broad application of the principles of free speech.

To manage the conflict that arise in cases like this the Toronto Library Board instituted a room booking policy.

The Library policy has three elements which pertain to this event. First, library staff are given a duty to review any application to see if there are human rights grounds for refusal. The City Librarian did review this application and because she had concerns she contacted City legal staff for advice. They advised her that there is no case law that would provide her grounds for refusal.

The second element of the policy gives library staff the right to monitor the event to ensure that the event does not promulgate hate; I understand that this will happen. Further, the Toronto Police service have been notified of the event. I mention this because hate speech is a criminal code offence and it is within the authority of the police to lay charges. It is not and should not be up to elected officials.

The third part of the policy is that the decision of the City Librarian is final. That is not only appropriate, but is an essential safeguard. Elected officials should never have the right to decide on a case-by-case basis who has the right to speak in a public venue. In recent years, some members of Council attempted to de-fund the Pride Parade for a variety of reasons including the presence of a group called Queers Against Israeli Apartheid. Fortunately, they did not succeed. City staff made it clear that while some were hurt and offended by the presence of this group, its presence did not constitute hate speech and was not a violation of human rights. There are many in politics who would use the power of their office to silence those they disagree with, I will never be one of them.

Governments set policies, like the room booking policy and the hate speech provisions in the criminal code. Enforcing them must remain a separate function.

This has been a difficult issue for me to work through. I hope you will consider my position and that we can continue to work together to find ways to protect and enhance gender identity and gender expression rights.

Gord

Swansea Historical Society Nov 6 Meeting

Posted on October 22, 2019

The featured speaker of the Nov 6 meeting of the Swansea Historical Society will be Richard Jordan speaking on “Hurricane Hazel and its Legacy”. 2019 marks the 65th anniversary of Hurricane Hazel, the most deadly natural disaster in recorded history to hit southern Ontario. Richard is a former president of the Etobicoke Historical Society, and he has written local-history columns for the Etobicoke Guardian and Toronto Star. Visitors Welcome!  Light Refreshments!

SHS Newsletter - Nov 2019

TransformTO Public Consultations

Posted on October 18, 2019

Residents are invited to share their feedback and ideas for the next TransformTO Implementation Plan from 2021 to 2023. TransformTO is the City’s Climate Action Strategy. The Plan will identify climate actions and priorities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions for the next three years. Complete the online survey, attend a public meeting, or host your own conversation with family, friends or neighbours using the TransformTO Community Conversation Guide. Consultations will conclude on November 11, 2019.

The remaining public meeting dates are:

• Wednesday, October 30 from 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. St. Lawrence Market Temporary North Market, 125 The Esplanade. Register here

Florence Gell Park Pumpkin Parade

Posted on October 16, 2019

Come out to Florence Gell Park on November 1st with your jack-o-lanterns and candles, and marvel at the wonderful carvings of your neighbours from 5-8pm.

Sorauren Avenue Park Pumpkin Parade

Posted on October 16, 2019

It’s that time of year again! Join us at Sorauren Avenue Park on Friday Nov 1 for the annual pumpkin parade. Please bring your carved pumpkins starting at 6pm to put them out on display.

The Sorauren Pumpkin Parade has become a huge success with more than 1500 participating pumpkins in the event in past years. However, with the growing success of the event, we need more volunteers and support from the community to make sure the event can continue.

Events Details:

6:00pm – 7:00pm – Put your pumpkins out on display
6:00pm – 9:00pm  – Pumpkin Parade
9:00pm onwards – Collect your pumpkins for disposal

All participants are responsible for ensuring that their pumpkins, candles and other materials are disposed of properly at the end of the night.

Candles must be extinguished prior to placing pumpkins in bins. All tea lights must be removed prior to placing pumpkins in bins as the aluminum foil surrounding tea lights are not compostable.

The City will provide green bins and garbage bins in the park to help with clean up. Please make sure to dispose of your pumpkins in the bins provided, or to take them home and put them in your green bin.

Interested in volunteering?

We are looking for volunteers to support with the event coordination and clean up. If you’re interested in volunteering, please email our office at councillor_perks@toronto.ca.

West Queen West Study and Heritage Conservation District Update – Community Meeting Reminder

Posted on October 15, 2019

Just a friendly reminder of the upcoming meeting the City is on the West Queen West & Parkdale Main Street Planning Study to present draft Official Plan policies. Information on the West Queen West & Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District (HCD) Plans will also be provided at the Open House. We welcome your comments and there will be opportunities to ask questions of City staff.

We will discuss the results of the West Queen West & Parkdale Main Street Planning Study, which spans Queen Street West between Bathurst Street and Roncesvalles Avenue, and provide an update on the heritage survey and HCD Plans.

Date: Thursday October 17, 2019
Time: Open House 5pm – 8pm; Presentation – 6:30pm
Place: 1303 Queen Street West – The Parkdale Library Auditorium

Community Consultation Meeting Notice - West Queen West Oct 17 2019

West Queen West Study and Heritage Conservation District Update – Community Meeting

Posted on October 10, 2019

The City is holding a meeting on the West Queen West & Parkdale Main Street Planning Study to present draft Official Plan policies. Information on the West Queen West & Parkdale Main Street Heritage Conservation District (HCD) Plans will also be provided at the Open House. We welcome your comments and there will be opportunities to ask questions of City staff.

We will discuss the results of the West Queen West & Parkdale Main Street Planning Study, which spans Queen Street West between Bathurst Street and Roncesvalles Avenue, and provide an update on the heritage survey and HCD Plans.

Date: Thursday October 17, 2019
Time: Open House 5pm – 8pm; Presentation – 6:30pm
Place: 1303 Queen Street West – The Parkdale Library Auditorium

Community Consultation Meeting Notice - West Queen West Oct 17 2019

Call For Community-Led Public Arts Projects Seeking Support

Posted on October 9, 2019

STEPS.Activate: Community is back for a second year, aimed at supporting community groups, non-arts based organizations, and social service agencies in developing community-engaged, public art initiatives. The deadline to apply is November 4, 2019 by 5pm.

For more information, please visit https://stepsinitiative.com/about/opps/

STEPS.Activate_ Community - 2020 Call for Applications

Categories

November 2019
M T W T F S S
« Oct    

Archives