High Park Community Alliance is having a fundraising Yard Sale on September 28, 2019 from 9:30 am – 3:00 pm at 66 Oakmount Road.
Donations are accepted and donors can bring the items to 66 Oakmount Road on September 27th after 6pm. Further details in the flyer below.2ND GIANT YARD SALE flyer
The Community Police Liaison Committee will be hosting their annual Open House on Saturday, September 14th, 2019 from 11am – 2pm at the 350 Dovercourt Rd. Meet your neighbourhood police officers.
Refreshments will be provided and food donation for Parkdale Community Food bank will be accepted.
Join High Park Stewards on Sunday, Sept. 22 from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Meet in front of the Grenadier Restaurant. They will be collecting a variety of native plant seeds in The Tablelands to be used in next year’s plantings. Work on the Boulevard Beds will continue. Please do not wear fleece or other non-smooth clothes as seeds stick to them. Bring water, a hat and sun-screen.
Green 13, Green Parkdale-Roncesvalles, and Safe Rail Communities have arranged for the Parkdale-High Park All-Candidates Debate on the Environment and climate to take place the evening of Wednesday, October 2nd, 7:30 pm, at Humbercrest United Church, 16 Baby Point Road. This is one of the more than 100 Debates on the Environment (100debates.ca) set to take place across Canada the first week of October, ahead of the federal election.
Join in locally on October 2nd! Please register/RSVP at https://www.100debates.ca/parkdale-highpark
High Park Stewards invite you to their annual fall planting! Happening September 8 from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm. Meet up in front of the Grenadier Restaurant. A variety of native plants that thrive in the Black Oak Savannah will be planted. There will also be work done in the The Boulevard Beds in front of the Grenadier Restaurant. Tools are provided. Please bring water, a hat, and cover your arms and legs. Please wear socks and closed shoes as well.
Some of our animals are grandparents! Come visit them with your families on Sunday, September 8 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm and play the Lucky Llama Dip. Every $2.00 ticket will win a prize! All proceeds will go to support our Master Plan for capital improvements at the Zoo.
Register for the event here .
Sunday, August 25th, 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
In front of the Greenhouse (off Centre Road SE from the Grenadier Restaurant)
Thousands of plants and over 80 species available!
CASH ONLY. No parking. Large orders after 1:00 from the remaining stock. The sale is in front of the greenhouse.
More Plant Sale info https://www.highparknature.org/wiki/wiki.php?n=Resources.PlantSale
Every year, temporary traffic and parking amendments are required to improve traffic operations and pedestrian safety during the annual Canadian National Exhibition (CNE), which takes place from August 16 to September 2, 2019. These changes were introduced at Toronto and East York Community Council (TEYCC) in June.
Some of these temporary changes include:
‘No Standing’ signage on:
• Thorburn, north side, between Tyndall and Dufferin;
• Temple, north side, between Tyndall and Dufferin; and
• Tyndall, both sides, between Springhurst and Thorburn.
’24 hour Permit Parking’ signage on:
• Springhurst between Jameson and Dufferin, north side.
In addition, traffic and safety concerns raised by South Parkdale Residents were shared with Exhibition Place.
In response, Exhibition Place and CNE have agreed to keep the southbound lane of Dufferin Street and British Columbia Road open during the week and completely closed on weekends for this year.
Jersey barriers will be installed along Dufferin Street and British Columbia Road to allow southbound traffic during the week.
Weekdays (with the exception of Labour Day)
• Northbound and Southbound Lanes open from 12AM-9:30AM
• Only Southbound open from 9:30AM, Northbound Closed
• Both Northbound and Southbound lanes are closed
Labour Day Monday
• Both Northbound and Southbound lanes closed(both lanes to reopen at 12AM Tuesday September 3rd)
Temporary Parking Permits
Community members raised concerns with the number of Temporary Parking Permits issued on local South Parkdale streets during the CNE. In response to this, Permit Parking Staff temporarily restrict the issuance of Visitor Parking Permits to the residential addresses located in the area bounded by Dufferin St, King St W, Jameson Ave and the lake for the entirety of the CNE. During this period, temporary parking permits will be issued — with proof of residency and guest’s licence plate number — at the City Hall counter, 100 Queen Street West. Online applications will not be permitted.
Further, the following actions will take place again this year:
• CNE to communicate in the ‘CNE Guide Book’ and in media releases that “Paid Parking on residential properties in South Parkdale is no longer permitted during The Ex” with information on parking lots and bike rack locations;
• City Transportation to sign the boundary of the South Parkdale area (Dufferin/King, Jameson/King intersection) to communicate message to deter drivers from entering the area to look for paid parking on these residential streets, and instead direct them to parking lots with directions to parking lots;
• City Transportation to post signs on Liberty at Dufferin, as well as at the entrance of Springhurst (at Dufferin) and Temple (at Dufferin) advising that only permit parking holders can park on residential streets in south Parkdale during the CNE;
• Toronto Police, Parking Enforcement, and City Bylaw enforcement staff have been asked to monitor South Parkdale for infractions during the CNE;
• Toronto Police and Parking Enforcement have been asked to, when appropriate, use foot and bike patrols in South Parkdale during the CNE to lessen the number of vehicles in the area;
• Toronto Police have been reminded of ongoing safety concerns during the CNE when the one way at Springhurst, from Dufferin to Tyndall, is not respected;
• CNE working with Traffic Management Centre to monitor traffic and manage traffic flows and monitor traffic lights.
Transportation Staff worked towards more and better signage with CNE, Ex Place and Police in and around Parkdale.
Please feel free to contact my office at any time if you have questions or comments about this or any other Ward 4 or city-related matter.
Join ‘Friends of High Park Zoo’ on Saturday, August 17, from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. when Joan McKenzie will demonstrate how llama fleece is spun into yarn using her spinning wheel.
Location – High Park Zoo, 77 Deer Pen Rd
Parkdale Community Legal Services (PCLS) and Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre (PARC) are hosting the “Parkdale Tenants: Small Buildings Organize” event at Bonar-Parkdale Church (250 Dunn Avenue). The event is happening on July 22, 2019 from 6pm – 8pm.